Wednesday, 22 September 2010 17:26
Last Updated on Monday, 03 June 2013 12:03
Crittenton Center Board of Directors 2012
- Ronald Rohlena, President - Morningside College
- Jim Vanderloo, Vice President - Director of Secondary Education, Sioux City Community Schools
- Melissa Lanzourakis-Joens, Secretary - Assistant Box Office Manager/Group Sales Manager, city of Sioux City
- Robin Reynders, Treasurer - Self Employed
- Amy Slevin,Board Member _ Director Clinical Program Development Mercy Medical Center
- Gina Grimsley, Board Member - Century 21 Pro-Link Realty
- Dr. Chris Hedquist, Board Member - Exact Eye Care
- Alice Horneber, Board Member - Horneber Law Office
- Kim Stanley, Board Member - Community Volunteer
- Ted Saltzman, Jr., Board Member - Shen-Dae-Man Properties, LLC
- Dr. Diane Kay Sloan, Board Member - Retired Professor
- Priscilla Stokes, Board Member - Vice President of Patient Care and Chief Nursing Officer, St. Luke's Health Systems
- Karleen Waller, Past President - Community Volunteer
- Tia Heidebrecht, Board Member - Chief Photographer, KTIV
- Dr. Alfred Fleming, Board Member - Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Steve Corrie, Board Member - Senior Vice President, Security National Bank
Marian Burnett (Executive Director), Deb Janssen (Director of Fiscal Services), Ed Huff (Shelter Director), Erika McWell (Child Development Director), Barb Work (Human Resources Manager), Mkey O"Sullivan, BSN, RN (Maternal Health Center Director), Vanessa Jorgensen (HOPES Program Director), Monica Rosenthal (Westside Resource Services & In-Home Services Director)
- Dr. Leah Johnson
- Dr. Michael Jung
- Dr. Gerald McGowan
- Dr. Amy Rief-Elks
- Dr. Kurt Rosenkrans
- Dr. Mark Taylor
- Dr. Jeffrey Zoelle
- Sue Griffith, BSN, ARNP
- Cindy Mammen, PA-C
- Dr. Naima Anwer
- Dr. Nick Bechtold
- Dr. Alisa Corderman
- Dr. Adrian Cordovi
- Dr. Melissa Dobbins
- Dr. William Dorwart
- Dr. Kevin Epperson
- Dr. Chip Fillingane
- Dr. Andrew Geha
- Dr. Jen Haden
- Dr. Ahoshirvan Mazhari
- Dr. Moushumi Meher
- Dr. Reza Mohebbi
- Dr. Thomas Morgan
- Dr. Ashley Neils
- Dr. Greg Olson
- Dr. Said Hasib Sana
- Dr. Mei Shi
Crittenton Center History
Since its inception, Crittenton Center has evolved to meet the needs of children and families. Today, the mission is "Crittenton Center provides services and life skills to all children, young adults, and families empowering them to lead quality and self-sufficient lives."
Highlights of Crittenton Center history include:
- 1882-Charles Crittenton’s daughter, Florence, stricken with Scarlet Fever, died. Mr. Crittenton vowed to help women and children experiencing homelessness and personal crisis with no other place to go.
- 1894-Dr. Agnes Eichelberger and Police Matron Thurston began organizing a home for indigent children in Sioux City.
- 1895-Property purchased, Board of Directors organized, and the Babies’ Home Society established.
- 1896-Babies’ Home Society merged with the Women’s Home Society, expanding services to include maternity care and adoption.
- 1904-The Society received its Charter and became a member of the National Florence Crittenton Home Mission.
- 1906-Construction of the building located at 1105 – 28th Street completed.
- 1907-Florence Crittenton Home dedicated. Services expanded to include care of neglected children under the age of three.
- 1914-Construction of the Maternity Hospital, adjacent to Florence Crittenton Home completed. Services once again expanded to provide residential maternity care, labor/delivery services, and nurses training.
- 1928-Maternity Hospital sold to the Methodist Hospital for use as a Nurses’ Training School.
- 1930-The first Community Chest (now know as United Way) Fund Drive held in Sioux City, with The Florence Crittenton Home receiving a portion of the funds raised.
- 1950's-Phased out services offered at the Maternity Hospital, eventually closing that facility.
- 1972-Emergency shelter services began for girls ages birth to 13.
- 1979-Licensed as a co-ed emergency shelter services, and expanded to serve children up to age 17. Discontinued in-patient maternity services due to the changing societal climate. Parent Survival Program began serving families facing crisis.
- 1987-Implemented Diversion & Monitoring Program to serve troubled youth.
- 1992-Changed agency name to Crittenton Center. Acquired Stella Sanford Child Development Center. Implemented the HOPES-HFI (Healthy Opportunities to Experience Success – Healthy Families Iowa).
- 1994-Began Teen Survival and After School Programs. The Family Development Center, located at 1309 Pierce Street, opened.
- 1995-Expanded social work services and began to provide Adoptive Child Studies.
- 1996-Purchased and began renovations to the facility located at 3901 Green Avenue.
- 1997-Completed renovation and moved the Emergency Shelter Care program to the Center for Shelter and Youth Development.
Initiated first-ever capital campaign - "Rays of Hope" for Shelter and Family Development properties. Expanded services to include a Pilot Visitation Project.
- 1998-Relocated Administrative and Health Services to new location at 2417 Pierce Street. Began COAR (Crisis-On-Call Assessment and Response) Program. Stella Sanford Child Development Center accredited through the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
- 1999-Agency accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children Services, Inc. Entered into preliminary alliance with Tanager Place of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- 2000-Awarded Continuum of Care Grant to initiate Project LIFE, an independent living program for children age 18 or older aging out of shelter or foster care. Formalized alliance with Tanager Place. Westside Resource Center opened in Salvation Army building at 600 West 7th Street.
- 2001-Implemented TAPS (Transitions and Practical Solutions) Program and The Crittenton School at the Shelter on Green Avenue. Westside Resource Center moved to 318 West 7th Street.
- 2002-Implemented TAPS (Transitions and Practical Solutions) Program in Nebraska. In partnership with Siouxland District Health & Lutheran Services in Iowa, we implemented Adolescent Family Life grant providingHOPES services to teen mothers in Woodbury County Iowa and Dakota City, Nebraska.
- 2003-Purchased and moved Administration, Maternal Health, Family and Development to our new facility located at 303 West 24th Street. Implement Minority Outreach caseworker position in partnership with Juvenile Court Services.
- 2004-HOPES Program was acccredited by Healthy Families America. Child Development Center's accreditaton by the National Association for the Education of Young Children was renewed.
- 2005-Awarded SHIP grant to begin an infant child care program for children of students at West High School
- 2006-Westside Resource Center relocated to basement of St. Boniface Church at 700 West 6th Street
- 2007-Opened Stella Sanford Preschool at the Westside Resource Center with the award of a Department of Education grant from SHIP
- 2009-Relocated Stella Sanford Preschool from Westside Resource Center to Everett Elementary. Opened a second Preschool at Smith Elementary
- 2010 West High Preschool